Ray Pettigrew

by Jon Niebling on February 6, 2010

Ray Pettigrew

Ray Pettigrew

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Jackie February 9, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Dive Club Members.
It is with a very heavy heart and great sadness that I inform you that our dear friend and dive buddy Ray Pettigrew passed away this morning.

Rays brother said today that Ray passed “with no pain and is swimming in the ocean with a smile on his face” of that we can be sure! As information on services become available I will be sure you are informed as well.

May you find comfort as I do in having had a friend like Ray in our lives.

Peace and Love to you all,
Jackie

Robin & Steve Metoxen February 11, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Dear Felllow Divers,

Steve and I have been friends with Ray for a very long time, we have traveled many places and share the oceans with him over many years, I cannot express the sadness that is in our hearts.
We will miss Ray dearly, he will always be remembered.

Christine Jameson February 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM

The coffee klatch will not be the same without Ray nor will the diving with his great humor, friendship and his wonderful photography. I was always afraid to beep my horn at him while he was on his bicycle for fear of scaring him. I know he is up there watching over all of us. I didn’t do so well at the bowling last night without his guidance. I will miss him but will always remember him.

David Topper February 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM

When I first started diving through Napa Dive & Sport, it was Ray (and Mack) that first welcomed me in and made me feel part of the Monday morning coffee klatch – neither ever made me feel like an outsider.

Over time, Ray always knew how to help me spend “my” money through all the toys and gadgets associated with underwater photography. Ah, thanks Ray!

I’ll miss trying to keep up with Ray for the hot news of the day and trivia.

My son Ryan won’t ever forget how Ray played the board game Risk with him at the forth of July parties and taught him to bowl with a ramp at the Dive Club bowling nights.

I (and we) already miss Ray.

David

Theresa & Roger Haseltine February 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Roger and I cannot express the deep loss we feel in our hearts of the passing of our long-time and dear friend/brother Ray. He was indeed family to many of us. The Monday morning Coffee Klatch will always have an empty seat and will not be the same without his laugh, jibber jabber, results from his many researches from the local library, seeing his bike parked in front of our house or that little red car of his. When Ray saw you, he gave the most heart-felt hugs with the rubbing up and down of the back. The Haseltine Thanksgivings shared with the Navarro family and friends will also be missing Ray’s game playing with my nieces and nephews and his always wanting to “play by the rules”. Roger and I take comfort though in knowing that he’s now swimming in the ocean in the sky smiling.

Terry Stigall February 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Ray was my dive bud! I will always remember the dives. Wondering off on the Peace and taking pictures together. Making every dive in Indonesia and Roatan together. Roaming around Bali with Ray, Minnow (Cindy) and Paul. We went diving in Lake Tahoe together and saw absolutely nothing. I was cold and out of breath just getting geared up at altitude. Ray called me a “wimp” for not wanting to “go again”. Conversations with Ray were always an experience. “No, No, No…” it’s …..and Ray was normally right because he read and studied voraciously. I will miss my my brother tremendously. He made me better at photography, diving, and in life. He was one of the few people who could actually make me “light up” when I saw him. “I love you man” and I will miss you more than you could ever know.

Jackie February 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Update: We have not recieved any information yet from the family on the celebration of Rays life.

As soon as we here anything we will update this site.
Jackie

Jackie February 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM

From Pat Bardwell: I spoke to Charlie Pettigrew last week and he told me that they are planning on having a “party” in Ray’s honor some time in June. Ray had asked for a party and that is what his family plans on doing for him.

As soon as we here more, we will post.
Thanks Pat!

Ken Lindsey March 2, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Ray was a good friend full of humor and kindness. I will miss him dearly. His memory will continue to live on through each one of us that he has graced his presence with. Ray, your great smile, great personality, and frienship will always be remembered.

I’m honored to have met you Ray!

Ken Lindsey

For those interested and may not already know this information…below is from the Napa Register:

Longtime Napa resident Vincent Raymond Pettigrew Jr., better known as Ray Pettigrew, passed away on Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2010, from a sudden illness. He was born to Vincent Raymond Pettigrew and California Charlene Pettigrew on Jan. 30, 1948, in San Mateo, Calif.

He is survived by two brothers: Charles T. Pettigrew (Karen) of Napa and David M. Pettigrew (June Gordon) of Sebastopol, Calif. Ray is also survived by four nieces and nephews: Brie Aalto, Charles C. Pettigrew, Sasha Pettigrew and Gabriel Pettigrew. His first great-nephew, Arthur Johan Raymond Aalto, was born on Feb. 10, 2010.

Ray graduated from Hillsdale High School of San Mateo in 1966. He worked at Golden Gate Switchboard Company in Napa designing electrical switchboards for more than two decades. Ray retired in 1996.

A person of many talents and interests, Ray especially loved traveling and scuba diving. He visited places as diverse as Egypt, Turkey, the Pacific Islands, Europe and Thailand. Ray treasured the camaraderie of the close-knit group of Napa Valley Divers, with whom he traveled around the world. His skills as a scuba diver were highly respected and he shared the magic of these trips with family and friends through his talent for underwater photography.

Ray will also be remembered for his musical talent, specifically with the banjo, mandolin and guitar. He was particularly fond of bluegrass. His nieces and nephews have fond memories of him playing music for them at family gatherings. Woodworking was one of his lifelong interests. Additionally, he was a devotee of American history, specifically the Battle of Little Big Horn and the Civil War.

Ray was also quite altruistic. He was a loyal member of the St. Thomas Aquinas church in Napa. For much of his adult life, Ray was a regular blood donor. He frequently volunteered to serve those in need at the Table, located at the First Presbyterian Church in downtown Napa.

Instead of formal services, Ray requested a festive farewell memorial. This will be held at the Napa home of Charles T. and Karen Pettigrew in May. For details or online condolences, please send an e-mail to raymemorial@gmail.com.

In lieu of flowers, please send donations to Hospice of Napa Valley, 414 S. Jefferson St., Napa, CA 94559.